Monday, December 9, 2013

Fill Your Ears


What are you listening to? Is it Country? Rap? Zydeco? Well, whichever genre it is, (I believe you said Zydeco), ask yourself this: what are they singing about?

I would say that 80% of all songs are about love. That's understandable. It'srelatable. People are always going to be falling in and out of love. As Neil says, "Love on the rocks, ain't no big surprise."

5% is about stuff; cars, money, and bling. We love our stuff and even write songs about how much of it we have collected. "It's all about the Benjamins" Right?

5% is about self; Look how cool I am! Those of the dreaded "I'm Too Sexy" variety.

That leaves 5% to sing about... who knows what?! I have no idea what these songs are even about. Dire Straits won a Grammy in '85 for "Money for Nothing," and I'm telling you its about someone who works at MTV, installs things, and has conversations with no one in particular. Sounds like real life, but sing a song about it? "I love that song!" "Me too, but what do any of those lyrics actually mean?" "Beats me. But I like it!"

Granted, I have no references for those numbers. Its just my personal opinion from a lifetime of being (what I would call) "more than a casual listener."

We listen to music because it makes us feel something. We like the beat. It gets our blood flowing. We connect with the songwriting. Man, some songs even get stuck in our heads!

So, if we are constantly filling our ears with something, shouldn't that something be about how much we love God? Shouldn't it be about how thankful we are that He sent His only Son? Shouldn't it be Praise?!

If you are a serious Christ Follower and you are not listening to Christian music, then you are really missing out. It's like adding a whole new dimension to your worship! Want to Practice the Presence of God? Listen to Christian music. It will help you stay focused throughout the day.

If you are listening to music that isn't about Praising God, then you are wasting your time. It might be fun. It might be catchy. But ultimately it does nothing. Our main purpose on this planet is to Praise God. Why would you fill your ears with anything but Praise music?

God Bless!
#PraiseMusic #ChristianMusic

No comments:

Post a Comment